Porto Jewish Heritage Tour
The Jewish Heritage on the Iberian Peninsula goes back to the first century, still during the Roman Empire.
Portuguese historians believe that the first Jewish people arrived in Portugal 2000 years ago, after the destruction of the second Temple in Jerusalem, but it was mostly during the 13th, 14th, and 15th centuries that the Jewish presence took more relevance in Portugal.
Immerse yourself in Portugal´s Jewish heritage. With our private guide, walk along the narrow streets in Porto and learn about Jewish heritage in Porto and its Jewish community. Discover places where once existed hidden synagogues in the most historic streets and quarters of the city.
During this tour we will travel in time, visiting places that will takes us to medieval times, and discover the cruelty of the inquisition. We will visit two former Jewish quarters: Judiaria Velha and Judiaria do Olival, where a monument to the victims of the inquisition can be found. And we will learn why some people were called New Christians and other Cryptojews or Marranos.
We will walk along the lovely Passeio das Virtudes, where once stood an old cemetery that served the second Jewish quarter in Porto. It is a perfect place to relax and enjoy a magnificent sunset.
And finally, we will continue to Boavista, where the Jewish community settled in the 17th and 18th centuries. After passing the largest synagogue in the Iberian Peninsula – Kadoorie Mekhor Haim Synagogue – was founded in 1923.
We will visit the newly opened Jewish Museum and learn about the history of the Jews in Portugal.
Finish the Jewish heritage tour in a trendy urban market for a tasting of a kosher drink.
- Departure Time 09:00 am or 02:00 pm - Pick up at your accommodation
- Return Time Approximately 12:00 pm or 06:00 pm.
- Dress Code Casual. Comfortable clothing and shoes, hat and warm jacket in Winter.
- Included Professional Guide
- Not Included 2 Cruise in a Typical Rabelo Boat2 h exclusive sunset tour with drink served on board2h Private sailboat cruise4WD experience in Douro Valley5 Star Accommodation5 unique typical tasting locationsa charming village in the Minho RegionA visit to 7 typical tasting locationsA visit to 7 unique tasting locationsA visit to BarcelosA visit to Buçaco National ForestA visit to CaminhaA visit to CascaisA visit to Ericeira VillageA visit to Óbidos VillageA visit to Ponte De LimaA visit to the village of CaminhaA visit to the village of CascaisA visit to ValençaAirport TransfersBreakfastDeparture TaxesDinner served on boardDinner served on board (Catering service from the restaurant DOC)Entrances mentioned on the ProgramEntry FeesLunchLunch paired with the property winesOvernight at a luxury sailboatOvernight on a luxury sailboatPersonal GuidePortugal oldest townPrivate 2h Cruisethe gateway to Portugal for Pilgrimsthe oldest town in PortugalTraditional LunchVisit to a Vineyard and sparkling wine tastingVisit to a Vineyard and wine tastingVisit to a Vineyard in Colares and wine tastingVisit to a Vineyard with wine tastingVisit to a Winery and Wine TastingVisit to Aveiro centerVisit to Aveiro historic centreVisit to Buçaco National ForestVisit to Cascais historic centerVisit to Sintra historic centerVisit to Sintra historical centerVisit to two wineries and Wine TastingVisit to Viseu historic centerVisit to Viseu historic centrewith free pedestrian circuit Lunch paired with the property wines
- IncludedProfessional GuidePrivate transferVisit to Jewish MuseumVisit to Porto historic centreTasting of a kosher drink
- Not IncludedFlights to/from PortugalPersonal expensesOther expenses (entrances) not mentioned
Visit the Jewish Heritage in Porto;
Discover the secret medieval streets of the city;
Learn about New Christians and Cryptojews or Marranos;
Visit the Jewish Museum
Elected as the Best European Destination, walking through Porto narrow streets is a unique experience, a journey through the city history and culture.