Lisbon Jewish Heritage Tour
For the last 900 years, the Portuguese capital has probably been the peninsular Sephardic city that concentrated most of Jewish history.
In this private tour, we will share with you the Jewish heritage in Lisbon, and observe the places of the Discoveries in which many astronomers and Jewish businessmen participated. We will cross the time of the Inquisition and visit the downtown areas where the refugees escaping from Nazi Germany lived.
We will start our private tour in Rossio, a magnificent square, where the Court of the Inquisition was held, in the Palácio dos Estaus, which is today the National Theater D. Maria. It was here that countless ceremonies were held and Jews and other accused heretics suffered the “purification rituals” – The Auto da Fé.
In this square, in the corner of São Domingos Church, we can see the Jewish Lisbon Memorial, erected in April 2006 to honor the victims of the Jewish Massacre in 1506, during which 2.000 people, accused of being Jews, were persecuted, tortured, and killed.
Strolling down the streets of Lisbon, toward the elegant Chiado quarter. Until the 14th century, there was a small Jewish quarter here with a synagogue, built in 1260.
Then we continue to the magnificent Praça do Comércio, a perfect place to relax and glance at the Tejo River, the place where thousands of Jews were forced to be baptized in the 15th century. This area was destroyed by an earthquake in 1755.
Entering Alfama, the birthplace of Fado and one of Lisbon’s most picturesque areas with its narrow streets. We will discover the two important Jewish quarters that existed in this area: The Judiaria Grande, close to the Church of São Nicolau, and the Judiaria Pequena, in the place where today stands the Bank of Portugal.
To finish our tour, we will visit Shaaré Tikva Synagogue, which opened in 1904, the first synagogue to be built after the 15thcentury. This place served as the center of Jewish life in Lisbon and was a sanctuary for thousands of refugees during World War II.
A private tour that will allow you to learn more about the Jewish heritage in Lisbon.
- Departure Time 09:00 am or 02:00 pm - Pick up at your accommodation
- Return Time Approximately 12:00 pm or 06:00 pm.
- Dress Code Casual. Comfortable clothing and shoes, hat and warm jacket in Winter.
- Included Professional Guide
- Not Included 2 Cruise in a Typical Rabelo Boat2 h exclusive sunset tour with drink served on board2h Private sailboat cruise4WD experience in Douro Valley5 Star Accommodation5 unique typical tasting locationsa charming village in the Minho RegionA visit to 7 typical tasting locationsA visit to 7 unique tasting locationsA visit to BarcelosA visit to Buçaco National ForestA visit to CaminhaA visit to CascaisA visit to Ericeira VillageA visit to Óbidos VillageA visit to Ponte De LimaA visit to the village of CaminhaA visit to the village of CascaisA visit to ValençaAirport TransfersBreakfastDeparture TaxesDinner served on boardDinner served on board (Catering service from the restaurant DOC)Entrances mentioned on the ProgramEntry FeesLunchLunch paired with the property winesOvernight at a luxury sailboatOvernight on a luxury sailboatPersonal GuidePortugal oldest townPrivate 2h Cruisethe gateway to Portugal for Pilgrimsthe oldest town in PortugalTraditional LunchVisit to a Vineyard and sparkling wine tastingVisit to a Vineyard and wine tastingVisit to a Vineyard in Colares and wine tastingVisit to a Vineyard with wine tastingVisit to a Winery and Wine TastingVisit to Aveiro centerVisit to Aveiro historic centreVisit to Buçaco National ForestVisit to Cascais historic centerVisit to Sintra historic centerVisit to Sintra historical centerVisit to two wineries and Wine TastingVisit to Viseu historic centerVisit to Viseu historic centrewith free pedestrian circuit Lunch paired with the property wines
- IncludedProfessional GuidePrivate transferVisit to Lisbon historic centreTasting of a kosher drink
- Not IncludedFlights to/from PortugalPersonal expensesOther expenses (entrances) not mentioned
Visit the Jewish Heritage in Lisbon;
Discover the secret Jewish quarters of the city;
Learn about New Christians and Cryptojews or Marranos;
Visit the place where the Court of the Inquisition was held
Lisbon is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Europe. Come and discover this vibrating city, the melancholid Fado and the cultural Heritage of Lisbon.